Thursday, February 14, 2008

"I really love attending Medill School of Journalism, copyright 2008"

Kudos to David Spett, senior at Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern for calling out j-school dean John Lavine for fabricating quotes. Aaaand, for making the rest of us Chicago j-schoolers a little less jealous of the local fame Medillers are privy to. Hah. No, but seriously, folks...

Much has been made of the fact that journalism profs are constantly cautioning against even listening to off-the-record comments, much less publishing them. Really, they should be reserved for life-or-death situations (and for staffers on presidential campaigns, apparently. We'll sell our first-born for a decent Obama leak!).

Levine protests that this isn't that kind of journalism (the "article" appeared in an alumni mag), so he shouldn't be held to the same standards. I guess that's what I find so repulsive about the whole thing. Not only was the "article" written to promote his shameless marriage between journalism and marketing classes, but the "article" is nothing but an advertisement itself!

Gross. This is why I hang up on my alma mater when they call me for money. Not that I was cool enough to attend Northwestern...

No comments: