Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm calling a Time Out for Sheboygan

I read a really lame review of Sheboygan, WI today in Time Out Chicago. Not that the review was negative; it was just plain shoddy and superficial. As I began to bitch, I realized it was written by the editor-in-chief, Frank Sennett. Well, this guy should know better. So I wrote my first letter disapproving of a review:

Jesus Christ, man. If you're going to do a review, you might have to actually get out of your car/condo and do something. You made Sheboygan sound like the most boring little town ever. And it is, but in a really weird, interesting way. I don't usually send letters like this, but it makes me sad when a fellow journalist falls down on the job. And such a simple job it was! Were you hungover or something? Next time, hand the job to a hungry intern or newbie. They would probably love to get a free vacation to a funky, albeit dusty little Midwestern town. Thanks for once again reminding me why I'm not renewing my subscription to your lazy and increasingly elitist mag.

Meg White

P.S. In case you were wondering, I'm not from, nor have I ever lived in, Wisconsin or small-town America.

I'm mostly just posting this because I know this one won't make it into "Letters to the Editor."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. White:

I work in the ombudsman's office at TOC. We take your criticism seriously, and hope to respond in an upcoming issue.

We'd also like to credit your account for the remainder of your subscription. I searched our subscriber database, and have been unable to find any record of a "Meg White." If you have a subscription, please call 1-877-843-8862 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 p.m, and reference this email.

Sincerely yours,
Tom Anderson
Time Out Chicago
247 S. State St. 17th fl
Chicago, IL 60604