Thursday, May 22, 2008

Countdown to cancellation

I've tried to cancel my Sun-Times subscription several times, but those darn call center people are so persuasive. So, in preparation for my phone conversation tomorrow, I thought I'd organize my thoughts (don't think this means I'm switching to the Chicago Tribune, either. The New York Times will have to do, at least for the summer).


Top ten reasons I'm canceling my Sun-Times subscription:

10. Pointless pictures of other people's pets.

9. Commuter newspaper for some reason obsessed with cars (pothole patrol, Autotimes, continual gas price coverage).


8. Richard Roeper pretending he's better than Michael Sneed. Really they're separated by Roeper's use of complete sentences. Stick to the movies, bucko.


7. Mary Mitchell disguising her prejudices by exposing other peoples' prejudices.


6. Talk Back: the section for readers who are too crazy/illiterate to handle writing a letter or email.


5. Robert Novak's mere presence.


4. Paper only makes it to my door 57% of the time, though I pay for daily delivery. Funny, the delivery problems started occurring after the Sun-Times farmed out the service to Tribune Co. Coincidence?


3. Michael Sneed's overuse of "to wit," "translation," and "Obama drama."


2. The new "How I'm Saving Money" segment: a pandering distraction from a deeply troubled economy which goes
largely uncovered.

1. Drew Peterson and R. Kelly's rotating front-page coverage.



...to The Watchdogs, Mark Brown and Abdon Pallasch: check you online, homies.

No comments: